Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Hardware query/search

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Hardware query/search
Leo wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to distinguish a dead motherboard from a dead
> processor?
>
> Failing that does anyone have either a socket A processor or motherboard
> they no longer want?

Hi Leo,

Are we discussing something that was working until recently or some
components you've been given and told one or the other is dead?

If the former, what are the symptoms that are telling you it is either
of these components? There are a bunch of things that could be
responsible from stopping your machine from booting, including the
memory, the graphics card, and the power supply. How far you get when
attempting to power up will tell you something about what is failing.

With the latter I'm tempted to say don't waste too much money or time
diagnosing the issue, as Socket As are pretty long in the tooth now.

Sean

--
And I've made disapointment
My very best friend