Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu LTS

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu LTS
Clive Woodfine wrote:
> An update on progress.
>
> On 10 February 2010 15:09, Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:
>

>> We generally recommend you use update-manager (for machines with a
>> GUI), or do-release-upgrade (for machines without a GUI, or machines
>> you have only remote access to). This is covered in the upgrade
>> guides, which will be updated for 10.04 when it is released.
>>
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Al.
> Hi Al.
>
> I have followed the upgrade instructions version to version but have
> ended up with some errors. Since I have nearly run out of space on
> this partition I have created two new ones Viz. / and /home and done a
> new install of Ubuntu 9.10. All works fine but of course I have lost
> my setup.
>
> I have a backup of /home and /etc from the 8.04 version. If I copy
> these to /home partition and /etc directory respectively will I create
> more problems than I solve do you think?
>
> Clive

Before you copy /home, make sure that the users with directories in
/home (e.g. /home/clive) are created on the new system with THE SAME
USERIDS AND GROUPIDS as on the old system. I got that wrong once, and
found that all my files were owned by the wrong userid, and I had to do
a lot of chown-ing.

As for /etc, just copying that will make a terrible mess. All sorts of
things will have changed between 8.04 and 9.10 in the format and
contents of config files. You'll have to go through each subsystem
(e.g. exim, apache, etc.) and work out how to migrate settings from old
to new. In some cases, just copying files will work, but don't ask me
which cases those are.

cheers

Chris

--