Re: [Hampshire] Basic CAD software?

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Basic CAD software?
On 02/17/2010 09:49 AM, Steve wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Could anyone point me in the direct of some software that would allow me
> to import a digital photo (JPEG), draw some lines on the image and then
> measure the angles between them?
>
> I've set the subject as basic CAD software as that was my first thought
> as to what I'd need, but open to any software suggestions really. I've
> had a bit of a search on Linux CAD software - a lot of it seems to be
> either commercial or very complex.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Google sketchup should probably fit the bill. Although a quick google
search shows that textures are limited to 1024x1024, I don't know if
that will be a problem?

It's a free download and I believe it runs under wine:

http://wiki.winehq.org/GoogleSketchup

I've not had it working well here, but my graphics card (ATI) is not
very well supported, especially in dual screen mode, so it's way too
slow to be usable ;)