[Hampshire] Kernel compilation woes

Author: Charlie de Courcy
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Kernel compilation woes
I'm going round in circles and banging my head against a brick wall so
it's time to call in the experts :)

To set the scene I'm running Fedora 12 with 2.6.31.5-127

I've bought a shiny new samsung laptop. Problem is that it appears the
hardware is *too* new. Everything seems to be up and running apart from
the onboard NIC (Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 4318), and
wireless card (Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8192).
I'm just focussing on the ethernet at the moment, the wireless I'll dig
into when I can actually get some packets flowing.
The device is supported under kernel 2.6.32.8, so I'm trying to get this
onto the networkless laptop.

I've downloaded the source from kernel.org on my other laptop, run 'make
menuconfig' and set what I believe to be the right (and safe) options.
Then 'make bzImage', 'make modules' and 'make rpm'. This all ran without
failure and I moved my fresh rpm over to the new laptop.

I ran 'rpm -ivh kernel.blah' and it installed seemingly successfully.
'mkinitrd /boot/initrd-.blah blah' to create the ramdisk image.
I was however expecting the rpm install to update my menu.lst but it
didn't. I believe I've put everything in the right places, using the
default entry as a basis:

title Fedora (2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686)
     root (hd0,4)
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686 ro
root=/dev/mapper/luks-2ddd7768-d55b-4b7c-857d-d346505c3bed noiswmd
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=uk
rhgb quiet
     initrd /initramfs-2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686.img
title Fedora (2.6.32.8.fc12.i686)
     root (hd0,4)
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32.8 ro
root=/dev/mapper/luks-2ddd7768-d55b-4b7c-857d-d346505c3bed noiswmd
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=uk
rhgb quiet
     initrd /initrd-2.6.32.8.img

However it doesn't work... after going through the password prompt for
LVM decrypt I'm just left with a flashing cursor. Output of
/var/log/messages points towards massive X display failures: "GDM
Display lasted 0.080075 seconds". Xorg.log says that screens are found
but none have a usable configuration.

What am I missing..? Could anyone assist please or point me towards a
better way of doing things or how I can troubleshoot further? At this
point in time everything has to be transferable via usb key...

Thanks,
Charlie