Re: [Hampshire] unable to connect from one system to another…

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] unable to connect from one system to another using ssh
On 02/16/2010 12:05 PM, john lewis wrote:
> I know want to run unison on landing to synchronise the geneweb
> directory on landing with a geneweb directory on benden and for this I
> need to be able to setup ssh on landing to allow "ssh benden"
>
> But I get an error message
> ssh: connect to host benden port 22: Connection timed out

Some simple diagnostics to get further with this problem.

First is to isolate the source of the problem, whether it is SSH, or
simply the network / DNS.

Try using telnet to connect to the port instead, for example, if I
connect to my local machine on port 22, I get the following, which
clearly shows that OpenSSH is running.

]$ telnet localhost 22
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.2
^]
telnet> close
Connection closed.

However if I try and connect to a port with nothing running I get:

]$ telnet localhost 1234
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

As well as doing this, you can check the IP address that is returned, it
may be that you are not resolving the right IP address for the machine.

Those are good starting points