[Hampshire] Useful utility - regionset

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Useful utility - regionset
Hi all,

I have a new media centre PC. A nice little ASRock ION-330.

I tried to play my first region locked DVD last night, and all I got was
a random CSS error. After much searching I found the answer on google,
so I thought I would share with everyone just in case you have the same
issues! It turns out even with libdvdcss there are some DVD's that
cannot be decoded unless the drive is set to a region. It turns out that
as this box has only ever had Linux on it the region had never been set
in the drives firmware. I thought I was going to have to install windows
simply to be able to set the region, but it turns out there is a lovely
little utility called regionset.

On the first run it showed that my drive had no region set:

regionset version 0.1 -- reads/sets region code on DVD drives
Current Region Code settings:
RPC Phase: II
type: NONE
vendor resets available: 4
user controlled changes resets available: 5
drive plays discs from region(s):, mask=0xFF

Would you like to change the region setting of your drive? [y/n]:

So I said yes to setting the region, and selected region 2. Now my DVD
plays fine :)

regionset version 0.1 -- reads/sets region code on DVD drives
Current Region Code settings:
RPC Phase: II
type: SET
vendor resets available: 4
user controlled changes resets available: 4
drive plays discs from region(s): 2, mask=0xFD

Hopefully this will help someone in a similar situation.