Re: [Hampshire] Recurrent Hardware Problem

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recurrent Hardware Problem

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x578c7100.hantslug.org.uk.4316': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Feb 1 15:35:40 2010 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 03:28:54PM +0000, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> On 1 February 2010 14:20, Chris. Aubrey-Smith <cas194@???> wrote:
> >> If there's no signs of life even in a minimal configuration, take
> >> the heatsink off, clean it and the CPU, and re-apply the thermal
> >> compound.
> >

> > That's my next move!
> >

> I have travelled thus far many times before, but I'm beginning to move into
> unfamiliar territory.
>
> Is there an 'approved' method for separating a big aluminium heatsink from a
> processor, to which it is attached as though superglued?

The best I can suggest is (gentle!) twisting, with the CPU still in
the motherboard (to get more leverage). I've only had one machine with
the heatsink glued on, and I decided I didn't really care that much
about changing the heatsink.

Hugo.

   --- Well, you don't get to be a kernel hacker simply by looking ---
                    good in Speedos. -- Rusty Russell