Re: [Hampshire] Packaging help needed

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Stephen Pelc, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Packaging help needed
2010/1/15 Stephen Pelc <stephen@???>:

> Our users don't want to have to edit repository lists. They want
> download, install, run. We try to provide what real users want.
> Sysadmins are not "real" users.

It is not an admin task. You just put the download url in a different
place. In the software update tool instead of a web browser.
Once done once, it will automatically handle all upgrades via a single tool.
I bit like "Windows update" but it covers all software from all
sources and not just one manufacture's one.
It is much much easier for the user. They don't have to go to lots of
different web sites for each bit of software.
Each bit of software does not have to implement their own automatic
update features etc.
It also lets them accept the license agreement once, and not have to
do it for all the upgrades to the already installed software after
that.

The software developer has a very easy task if they distribute the
software in source code form. All the Linux distros will do the
packaging for them.
A majority of the software for the Linux platform is distributed in
source code form.

The problem comes with binary only distributors. They have to do all
the packaging work, and also the Linux distros will not automatically
include their software in the software update tool. There is
absolutely zero incentive for the Linux distros to make life easier
for binary only distributors as it stifles innovation.

Kind Regards

James