Re: [Hampshire] [OT]ish ipod software

Author: Pierre Cazenave
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT]ish ipod software
On 10/01/2010 20:22, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
> Do any of us have ipods? If so, has anyone found any decent music
> library software for them?
> I migrated from a 20Gb IRiver to an 80Gb Apple ipod last year and in
> that time my 8500 40 odd Gb library has caused me no end of problems
> with itunes running under windows. This gives me 2 options:
> 1) The baby and the bathwater - get a new mp3 player and say farewell to
> apple and M$. In theory (cash permitting) I have no problem with this but...
> 2) I quite like the ipod itself (touch wood) I've had very little
> trouble with it. It's the software that's the problem. For example, you
> would think "import library" would be a pretty simple thing. In my case,
> for no apparent reason, it stops at 3300 songs.
> So if anyone knows of any better software - open source, bleeding edge,
> Linux or Windows - I'm not too worried - I just want it to do what
> itunes is supposed to do (which might be a pipe dream as I suspect the
> ipod is close source under the bonnet) - I'd love to hear from you.
> Cheers
> Rob

I found Songbird [0] and its iPod plugin [1] seem to work pretty well on
XP with my 2nd Gen Nano. I'm not sure what the status of Songbird is on
Linux, or if the plugin would work, but given Songbird sort of "just
Firefox" with the ability to play music, then I don't see any reason it
wouldn't work on Linux. There is a Linux download for 32 or 64 bit
versions, so presumably it's OK...

Pierre

[0] http://getsongbird.com/
[1] http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/12