[Hampshire] Shuttle and other small box systems

Author: Adam John Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Shuttle and other small box systems
Hi,

I may have convinced a family member of the merits of a small box home
computer system. I'm no particular axe to grind regarding Shuttle boxes but
the requirement is a small, quiet box for a home office setting. Its be running
a full weight Linux distro and probably Win7 in dual boot configuration.

It will be mostly used for email, web browsing, home office applications,
looking at/printing pictures and possibly to view autocad files (on Window).

What things should I be looking for? Obviously if it runs Windows then it will
need more grunt, but my preference is for a case with a passively cooled CPU
and graphics system and a quite hard disk.

It'll probably be driving a 4:3 ratio LCD at approx 1280x1024 and not used for
games other than the solitaire type. I'm not expecting it to be used for
video, other than a bit of YouTube.

As ever thanks in advance.
--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

I never really understood how there could be things that would
drive you insane just because you knew them until I ran into Windows.
    -- anon