Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu grub issue

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu grub issue

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x570a1100.hantslug.org.uk.23646': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Jan 5 00:19:52 2010 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi John,

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:08:25AM +0000, john wrote:
> On Sunday 03 January 2010 15:04:51 Leo wrote:
> > Does anyone know how Ubuntu decides to create grub's menu.lst when
> > updates force it to, as it gets mine wrong every time.

[...]

> I have this problem with ubuntu but I found that all I needed to do was to go
> into the bios and change the order of hard disk boot after that everything
> worked fine.

I would advise looking into referring to devices by label or UUID so
that drive order does not matter. It is possible that a later
kernel or BIOS update will reorder them again anyway.

It's also handy when transplanting drives into another machine, or
virtualising it for example.

Cheers,
Andy

<Eyecon> freecycle is for dating single mothers