Re: [Hampshire] NAS devices and MTU

Author: lists
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NAS devices and MTU
On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 14:54 +0000, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:11:20 +0000, stephen.davies@???
> said:
>
> > Certainly if you do this with some versions of Windoze, it negociates
> > each and every packet.
>
> s/negociates/negotiates
>
> I would think it extremely unlikely that Windows would negotiate each and
> every packet. If you really mean that, can you cite a source?

<moan>
I don't think that is true and I'm sure the Stephen is confused. Are you
aware that 'cite a source' comes across as arrogant aggressive? It's not
at all helpful and I'm sure at some point in your life Keith, you've
been confused or mistaken? This kind of spitting out on lists makes them
very unattractive to read. </moan>

>From my own perspective I'm more interested in this;

"Even Cisco recommended its customers not to use auto negotiation.
However, the use of manually set configuration often led to duplex
mismatches"
{CITE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation so it must be true}

I certainly had issues with SMB between Linux/Windows taking hellishly
long to transfer music libraries. No amount of settings changes worked
and in the end the guilt seems to have been attributed to a Windows
'soft' firewall and av package - the latter trying to scan each of
170,000 mp3, avi and txt files passing out of it. I also had the
gateway/switch blocking ICMP probably as a result of some ping of death
paranoia - which really killed things like Source Quench - and putting
this back on made an improvement.