[Hampshire] SheevaPlug catch-up

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] SheevaPlug catch-up
So a few weeks back I made a posting asking if anyone had a SheevaPlug.

Well, I've taken the plunge and bought one.

Initially they we being sold from the Far East and you had to
wait ages for delivery. New-IT are the UK distributor. I bought it
from their online shop: http://www.newit.co.uk/
I got the package with Debian pre-installed on a 4Gb SD card. Arrived
very quickly and their service is excellent.

It works great. If using Ubuntu 9.10 then you can get at the USB-
serial console really easily (it auto-loads the driver etc), then
configure for ssh. Also there is a ton of good docs on the
plugcomputer.org wiki - eg. there are tweaks on reducing the writes to
the SD card.

I'm using it as an openvpn gateway but plan on using it as a webcam
server and then maybe a git repository and maybe backup MX.
I have a "slug" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSLU2) already which is
serving media (Samba) to several XBMC systems and DNS for my local
network and wanted something with more power.

Anyhow, just thought some folks might be interested.

Oh, and a Happy New Year to everyone in the LUG!,
Imran

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F