Re: [Hampshire] Another great meeting

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Another great meeting
2009/12/13 Andy Smith <andy@???>:
> Hi Dee,
>
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 06:22:06PM +0000, Dee Earley wrote:
>> And after all my faffing before hand to sort out my keys, i forgot to
>> get them signed :)
>
> Ah well, I'm trying to make more time for things like LUG meetings
> so I should be able to sign yours at another one soon.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> --

One does not actually have to sign the keys in the presence of the person.
For example, I could exchange business cards with ones name and key
finger print number. They would know the key finger print number was
mine because I gave it to them in person.
That person could then sign my key later and email it to me, and visa versa.
The important bit is ensuring that the name on the business card is
actually the same as the person giving it to you.
At which point one gets into the area of "identity management" .
I.e. Person X introduced himself as Fred Bloggs and gave me a business
card with "fred bloggs" written on it with a key finger print.
I have no way of knowing 100% that Person X is in fact Fred Bloggs.
All I can be sure of is that if I then get a digitally signed email
from someone calling themselves Fred Bloggs, and the signature key
matches the key finger print on the business card I was given, I can
be fairly sure that it was sent by person X.

Kind Regards

James