Re: [Hampshire] Connecting fully to Internet - problems with…

Author: lists
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Connecting fully to Internet - problems with browser and URL
On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 09:31 +0000, Lisi wrote:
> The presenting problem:
>
> A desktop that I had set-up with Karmic on my home network, could not connect
> fully by URL on its owner's. (Pinging "www.google.co.uk" worked,
> putting "www.google.co.uk" in a browser window timed out.)
>
> I have run various tests using the following hardware:
>
> 3 different routers, of different makes in 2 different locations: router 1 on
> my home network, router's 2 &3 at the second site.
>
> 3 different computers running 6 different OSs beween them:
> - the desktop, running (sequentialy) PCLinuxOS 2007, LinuxMintOS and Kubuntu
> Karmic
> - a laptop, running Feisty
> - a netbook dual booting Linspire and Debian Lenny
>
> I shall refer to the computers by the Distro name.
>
> results:
> router 1: connecting via DHCP, Internet access by all 6 OSs worked fully and
> immediately.
> routers 2 & 3 worked identically as detailed below.
>
> computers:
> all 6 OSs worked otb on my home network.
> At second site:
> PCLinuxOS 2007, LinuxMint 7, Feisty and Linspire all connected flawlessly otb
> neither Kubuntu Karmic nor Debian Lenny would fully connect.
>
> The aim is to get Kubuntu Karmic connecting fully with either router 2 or
> router 3.
>
> The obvious "fault" in those two distros that would not connect fully is that
> there is a firewall blocking port 80. I am somewhat weak on the subject of
> firewalls, but:
> - if there is a firewall blocking full access on Kubuntu Karmic, how could it
> connect flawlessly via router 1?
> - if there is an identical firewall blocking access via port 80 in both
> routers 2 & 3, how can the four distros that connect and work fully otb do
> so?
>
> The 2nd site is 10 miles away down what used to be a very small, single track
> road and is now virtually a lake with islands of mud, scree and bits of tree.
> I would therefore be gratefull to collect up any advice before I go there,
> rather than a series of sequential advice.
>
> I asked a similar question on the Kubuntu mailing list and have already tried
> everything that they could come up with, to no avail. So I am trying looking
> at this from a different angle, since it is clearly not a Karmic-specific
> question.
>
> All help _very_ gratefully received, tho' I have already spent 8 hours on
> site, so have already tried a good many things, and might therefore be a
> little inclined to "yes, but".
>
> Lisi

I put Karmic on a box the other day but it does some random stuff that
does not fill me with confidence. That said, out of the box the DHCP
worked and Firefox et al worked without hitch.

The default firewall is iptables and I'm not seeing any rules
(period...) that would block your outbound requests to destination port
80/443.

A couple of things cross my mind:
1. Apparmor
2. Some form of proxy running (tor?) or similar?

Nice location :-) Take a flask of tea and some mint cake :-)
Barry