Re: [Hampshire] NAS Limits

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NAS Limits
2009/11/26 Andy Smith <andy@???>

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 04:19:25PM +0000, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest a rough guide to establish at what point it becomes
> > pointless to improve the NAS processor speed because of the limits of a
> > 100Mbs network?
>
> I would have thought that the time to start upgrading the NAS's CPU
> is when "top" on the NAS shows CPU as the bottleneck, not IO or
> memory?
>
> Provided we aren't talking about CPUs out of coke machines, I
> wouldn't have thought this point would be reached by most people...
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> Thanks, Andy. The machine is a 400MHz AMD K6-2 with the maximum 256 Mb and

has a couple of biggish disc drives but very little else.

It runs headless with a severely stripped-down Linux (NASLite) so the normal
performance-monitoring tools are not available.

I had an opportunity to replace it with something rather faster, but reading
around the subject of NAS suggested that I might not see any benefit.

The question is still open should anyone wish to add anything....

Chris

<http://bitfolk.com/>