Re: [Hampshire] SMTP bounce

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: paul, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SMTP bounce

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56d50100.hantslug.org.uk.12786': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Nov 25 14:10:44 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 02:09:01PM +0000, Paul Stimpson wrote:
> I was told it was the done thing to bounce but to not include the
> original message text. That way spammers can't bombard your server
> using fake return addresses and have it dutifully send that spam to
> all the fake addresses.

Sadly, they don't know that, so their victims still get piles of
unwanted mails, just ones with no content, complaining about not
delivering mails that they never sent...

Hugo.

  --- We teach people management skills by examining characters in ---
            Shakespeare.  You could look at Claudius's crisis
                   management techniques, for example.