Re: [Hampshire] GIMP dropped from Ubuntu 10.04

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GIMP dropped from Ubuntu 10.04
2009/11/19 Tim Brocklehurst <timb@???>:
> According to http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/gimp-to-be-removed-lucid.html
> GIMP won't be dropped entirely (that would be totally stupid) it's just not
> being installed by default. F-Spot will be installed by default.

F-Spot is already on the CD - and thus installed by default. It is
able to do some of the basic things that "most" users tend to need.
Simple tasks such as red-eye removal, cropping, resizing and so on.

> It still seems a little silly to me though. GIMP doesn't take that long to
> learn the basics.

sudo apt-get install gimp isn't hard either.

If you want it, you can install it. Simples.

A video of the session here at UDS will be available shortly. So
rather than rely on inflammatory poorly informed blog posts, you can
see what the developers themselves say.

http://ubuntudevelopers.blip.tv/
http://www.youtube.com/user/ubuntudevelopers

We're working hard to get the videos up but there's a lot of them and
they take a while to upload. We have a team editing and mixing them,
and they're working flat out.

Cheers,
Al.