[Hampshire] Video editing - 1st steps

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Video editing - 1st steps
Hi all

I need some advice on video editing software for Linux. Can anybody recommend a good package? I think I've spoken before on this list about a huge library of VHS I'm getting digitised. Thankfully I've now managed to find a working solution. Sadly it's not Linux based
but I'm ending up with several 8Gb mpgs that I need to edit.

The problem is simple - and will be all too familiar to those of us who used VHS: tracking.
I have a small horizontal line at the bottom of the screen where the image is "skewed" for want of a better word. I've tried unsuccessfully to fix the tracking and handle it within the capture software. No dice. So what I need is to crop the image. I've only ever used Windows movie maker so I'm a bit green here but I'd much rather play with something recommended than go through what is probably a maze of software - I had enough trouble of that nature trying to rip a DVD!!!

Cheers
Rob