Re: [Hampshire] Are UDP responses allowed from a different s…

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Are UDP responses allowed from a different source port?
Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:
> I believe that the filtering is incorrect, and
> that the machine returning its packet from a
> high port is correct, if unusual. I'm not
> entirely sure *why* I believe that, though.

Thanks Hugo. I was a little surprised by both
sides, too.

The strange server behaviour seems to be a SIP
thing. I don't know what server it is - just that
it talks SIP.

> Do you have any packet filtering firewalls
> between the machines (particularly NAT or any
> other kind of stateful packet tracking)?

No, they're on the same subnet, plugged into the
same switch.

> Also, where are you capturing the packet dumps?
> Actually on the monitoring machine, or at some
> point before the packets reach it?

The packet capture is running on the SIP servers
themselves.

Unfortunately, I don't have direct access to any
of the boxes. I have to ask the customer to do
things...

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.