Re: [Hampshire] Adding XML metadata to pictures

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Adding XML metadata to pictures
James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On facebook one can highlight an area of a picture and add a tag to
> it. I.e. Highlight a persons head and add their name.
> Is there any open source tool that could do this to my pictures on my hard disk.
> I am looking for a tool that would have a file, e.g. "picture.jpg" and
> creates a file "picture.jpg.xml" that will contain the metadata
> associated with the file.
>
> I could then do my own indexing, and display all pictures with, for
> example, friend X in them.
>
> Does anyone know of such a tool?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> James

Various photo tools, such gThumb and FSpot, allow you tag / categorise
photos in various ways.

RawTherapee uses IPTC tagging, which Wikipedia thinks has been subsumed
by Adobe's XMP.

I hope that gives you a direction to look in. I don't know much about
any of these things, except that they exist.

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???