Re: [Hampshire] [OT] data recovery from dead USB stick

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] data recovery from dead USB stick
James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> 2009/10/28 Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???>:
>
>> Hello folks
>>
>> Does anyone have experience of recovering data from a 'dead' USB stick
>> -- i.e. one that is silently ignored by every computer it's been tried on?
>>

> Try this site:
> http://www.larsen-b.com/Article/288.html
>
> One possible problem is simply that one of the solder connections is bad.
> It might be worth opening up the device and seeing if you can spot anything.
>
> The memory chip itself is probably ok, and it is probably the "glub
> logic" that is bad.
>
> If you cannot spot anything with your eye, it is probably better to
> get a pro to look at it.

Perhaps worth noting the author's comment (from the comments and not the
main article): "Before someone ask, I checked the filesystem with
/badblock/. And even recover the data stored in the usb key".

It looks like the point of the exercise was to recover the hardware and
not the data.

Sean

--
www.funkygibbins.me.uk