[Hampshire] Bad Karma

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Bad Karma
Hi All,

Eager to beat the rush and being possessed of an existing ext3
filesystem I downloaded the Karmic AMD64 live CD with a notion of first
testing it a la live CD and then installing it over my Jaunty build,
this time using ext4 (hence not going the dist-upgrade route).

That bombed when the Live CD was incapable of generating a suitable
config for my Acer 1440 x 900 monitor, the monitor bleating about
unsupported input or some such error. I couldn't get back to a command
line to diagnose or correct the issue, so I rebooted into Jaunty, made a
final backup of all my data and tried an install using the alternative
CD. All went well until reboot, but then I was presented with the same
error from the monitor.

To work around it I reinstalled Jaunty AMD64, this time using ext4,
squirreled away a copy of my xorg.conf, then did an 'update-manager -d'
which kicked of a dist-upgrade and installed Karmic.

The reboot went without incident and this email comes to you via the new
system.

However, it strikes me that this is might be a show stopper for a number
of people and I'd like to report back the problem. What is stopping me
right now is that I don't know what the problem was, having no means of
getting in and looking at the logs while it manifested. All I do have is
details of my kit (nothing exotic there *) and what does work now.

Given the lack of meaningful diagnostic information, is there any way I
can feed this back to the developers or is it a largely pointless exercise?

Sean

* Relevant Hardware:
Motherboard - Abit AV8
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+