Re: [Hampshire] [OT] OLPC XO

Author: Daniel Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] OLPC XO
John Cooper wrote:
> It is designed for education and easy learning for someone who has never
> used a computer before. It is a very different interface, using a
> journal to log task you do and therefore making it easy to go back to.

I have a log on my PC. It's called "Recent Documents". But if my recent
documents ran to dozens of pages it would be much less useful.

I think you're missing my point though. In usability we can talk about
"affordances" [1]. Sugar has none. I cannot work out how to use it
because I cannot by looking tell what any particular part of the user
interface is supposed to do. Or I guess but I'm frequently wrong. Some
of the applications are a lot better than the UI as a whole in that regard.

Or another example - 90% of things don't have tooltips. The one or two
things that do and which take quite a long time to appear just serve to
frustrate you more in the vast majority of situations when you really
need them and they aren't there.

> I found it difficult at first because of my file based computer use.
> I believe the developers have worked hard to create a new UI and the
> proof is it is being used and improved.

I'm quite sure the developers have worked hard on it. But it's being
used because that's what people are being given. It's being improved
because there's still money behind it. I don't think that proves
anything, and even if the developers have worked hard, they've gone off
on some wild tangent.

It's often said that most programmers suck at HCI, but at least most
programmers know to copy designs that work. You'd have to be pretty
arrogant to think that you can design a better GUI than what the entire
industry has researched and developed over 30 years.

> The hardware design is incredible and
> very innovative,making it easy to fix and maintain over the years.

I haven't seen the hardware.

Dan

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affordance