Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Webcams

Author: Peter Brooks
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Webcams
If you could really specify what price you're talking about spending,
for a single install camera it'll be best looking into something over
IP and certainly power it using PoE. Sinking a stretch of network
cable into the ground will be a lot less effort that messing around
with wireless & adhoc power supplies.

If you actually want a camera to be of use then you can't just use any
cheap piece of kit for outside night time monitoring, most are not up
to the task and provide nothing that the police can actually use.
I've had very good experience with any cameras from Axis, pick an
MPEG4 mega pixel night vision camera that can be put in some
anti-vandal housing.

If you don't have the money to spend out on such a device (and they
don't come cheap) then you might as well buy a dummy camera.