Re: [Hampshire] Viglen MPC-L

Author: James Ashburner
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Viglen MPC-L
Bob Dunlop wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15 at 10:35, James Ashburner wrote:
>
>> Is the hard disk drive user replaceable? I'm interested in replacing my
>> home server with one of these to cut down on both costs and noise, but
>> I'd like more storage space.
>>

> It's a 2.5" laptop drive. I'd say easily changeable if you're not confused
> by a screwdriver, although I've not done it on this particular model.
>
> It runs quite warm. I'm not sure I'd be trusting it with long term
> storage.

They certainly don't tend to be as reliable as 3.5" HDDs, but all
important data will be backed up to a USB external drive. Some downtime
would be acceptable, it's more a hobby server than a business. I host a
couple of sites for other people, but all for free so they've got no
grounds for complaint ;)

James