Re: [Hampshire] Dependency hell (Was: Re: Xorg is hungry tod…

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Dependency hell (Was: Re: Xorg is hungry today...)
On Tuesday 06 October 2009 23:18:27 john lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 22:47:27 +0100
>
> Samuel Penn <sam@???> wrote:
> > On Monday 05 October 2009 22:57:55 john lewis wrote:

> > > I didn't really make it clear that "aptitude update" only updates
> > > the available package listing held on the local computer.
> >
> > Ah, I assumed 'update' updated packages, and 'upgrade' upgraded from
> > one version of Debian to another. It's that latter (wrong!)
> > interpretation of upgrade that Gentoo skips.
>
> There is quite a good explanation of what these commands do in the wiki
>
> http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ManagingPackages/Apt

"aptitude update" is the equivalent of "emerge --sync" then.
"aptitude upgrade" is "emerge world"

Though personally, I almost never use "emerge world" and just update
those packages I want to update individually.

"aptitude dist-upgrade" is not needed in Gentoo.

Overall, I think that's far more information than I needed to know
about Debian, but it wasn't boring.

> I don't think the name for the next testing version has been chosen
> yet, names are taken from Toy Story characters. see this link
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives

That's even worse than Sun's versioning schemes. I like numbers since
they're easy to compare.

> sid aka unstable
> squeeze aka testing
> lenny aka stable

Each version of a package is marked as masked, ~arch (unstable) or arch
(stable) for each architecture. For example:

http://packages.gentoo.org/package/kde-base/kdm

At the time of this email, 3.5.10 is the latest stable release on
all architectures. 4.2.4 through 4.3.1-r2 are all available as
unstable (hasn't been signed off) on all architectures save for
sparc, and 4.3.2 is available but not suggested for use.

I use stable packages by default, and allow an unstable package to
be installed if I need a particular feature in that version.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???