Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

> That's a bit harsh Vic.

If this were the first time this discussion had occurred, you'd be right.

But it isn't. It's the latest in a long line of RH-bashing from someone
who has been repeatedly told that a direct comparison of rpm to apt is
ludicrous, just as a direct comparison of dpkg to yum would be.

That we keep getting tales of many years ago stated as gospel truth goes
beyond ignorance; it is FUD. If the tales ever were true (and I doubt this
- I was using apt on Cobalt 6.0, which was basically RH6), they aren't
now, and continuing to whine about the same outdated issues - whether they
are true or not - is exactly the same as the naysayers who claim that
Linux users have to do everything from the command line, have to recompile
the kernel every five minutes, have no driver support, etc.

I *suspect* that what is being said was never really true - it's just a
feature of individuals not knowing what was available. But whether or not
that was the case many years ago, it certainly isn't the case now.
Continuing to harp on about it means that someone is either being wilfully
ignorant, or is deliberately spreading FUD.

Vic.