Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57d01100.hantslug.org.uk.2849': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Oct 5 16:47:06 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 04:30:22PM +0100, John Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 16:11:09 +0100
> Philip Stubbs <philip@???> wrote:
>
> > 2009/10/5 Stephen Davies <stephen.davies@???>:
> > > .deb Hell ??????? wtf?
> > >
> > > We all know that it is only rpm's that give you hell!
> > > (Now where's the 'only pulling your leg emocion?')
> > >
> > > I for one have not had an 'rpm dependency hell' for well over three
> > > years.
> >
> > Nor have I. Then it was about three years ago that I started using
> > Debian :-)
>
> nor have I, but then I stopped using rpm based systems when I dumped
> RedHat 5.1 and moved to a distro with 'proper' dependency control based
> on dpkg/apt and more recently aptitude.

I lasted slightly longer (to 6.0), moving to Debian for the same
reasons. However, to be fair, that was well over 10 years ago, and the
package management on RPM-based system has improved quite a bit since
then. yum is eminently usable, although I find it a little frustrating
because I don't know how to do many of the things I do know how to do
with apt...

Hugo.

   --- "It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take ---
              hold" - Hunter S Tolkien,  "Fear and Loathing
                              in Barad D?r"