Re: [Hampshire] Domain Controllers

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Domain Controllers

> So, a central fileserver combined with automount and centrally-stored
> user accounts.
> How many users / computers are we talking about here?
> Are they all Linux boxes or are there some Windows systems too?

4 users and for the purposes of this - all will be running Linux. I can
move anything across as and when Windows needs to access anything.

> What do you mean by 'secure' in this instance?
> Are you trying to secure your personal data? Or passwords? Or have
> better access control to your systems?

My NAS boxes have interfaces which I consider woefully insecure. Not too
worried - most of my stuff lives in an encrypted container using truecrypt.

> If this is the only real reason, why not just set up a script running
> rsync via cron for this sort of thing? Then you don't need to remember.

I could do this but a central filestore seemed a more elegant solution.

> Or mount filesystems from the NAS as local home directories?

That's what I currently do.
[snip]
> That's because 'Domain Controller' is (mostly) a Windows networking term.

I see.

> One of the more common terms for this these days is 'Directory Service'
> Linux LDAP
> or
> Linux NIS

Thanks.