Re: [Hampshire] New Linux-based phone

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New Linux-based phone
On 25/09/09 08:31, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 05:46:24 +0100, lug@??? said:
>
>> The Android OS is excellent with plenty of good free apps to download
>> which makes it far better than any other phone.
>
> That's very simplistic. For a start, the Android OS isn't a phone.
> Secondly, the excellence of a phone is not determined solely by the
> availability of free apps as you imply. You haven't taken any account of
> the user's needs: for you, and Android phone may be "far better than any
> [non-Android] phone", but for many it won't.

It was meant to be simplistic. I was assuming both phones have all
normal phone features, but what makes it excellent is/are the add ons.
For example, fed up with anonymous calls? Download an app to block them.
Want to track your walking and provide detailed stats? Want to use
Google's excellent search and maps? The majority are free and updated
regularly.

It takes a big player like Google to have the resources to shift mobile
OS away from M$ or Apple. It is Linux based and that is FLOSS so I'm not
going to moan about how "free" the rest is like some other who have
commented. I hope LiMo is successful, but I think market share will
still be dominated by the big players and at least with Android I can
have a Linux based phone with plenty of support and applications.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk