Re: [Hampshire] New Linux-based phone

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New Linux-based phone
On 09/25/2009 10:00 AM, Bob Dunlop wrote:

> You missed the Nokia N900[1] running Maemo[2] also comming in October.
> Several suppliers are touting it with Vodafone/O2 contracts etc and theres
> a rumour that Vodafone may be supplying it direct.

I'm very keen on the N900, if I had more spare cash I would probably
have pre-ordered one already.

Being Linux there are some very cool things you can do, and it looks
like it is reasonably straight forward to customise with python scripts
etc. to make it do some cool things, there is a blog:

http://blogs.nokia.com/pushn900/

showing some nice "hacks" as examples of the functionality that it has.
It runs Firefox (Fennec) as a browser and I've seen a photo on the web
of it running a root terminal so it should be easy to get access and
configure / update it.

There is also a nice gnome blog entry here about writing an app for it:

http://blogs.gnome.org/tthurman/2009/09/03/writing-apps-for-the-n900-part-1/

Looks like a very nice toy, will just have to wait and see how much it
costs on contract.