Re: [Hampshire] High availability database

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: chris, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] High availability database

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x577b9100.hantslug.org.uk.22581': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Sep 16 14:36:06 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 02:13:45PM +0100, Chris Simmonds wrote:
> Hi and thanks to everyone who replied. I'm busy researching some
> possibilities at the moment. However, just to clarify, the issue is high
> availability among the 50 or so nodes so that any node can go down and
> come back up again without impacting any of the others. There are no
> servers as such, each node is potentially both a server and a client so
> that if using a traditional database there needs to be some mechanism to
> elect a master server if the current master goes down. The trickiest
> case is if the network gets disrupted such that you get two separate
> segments for a while - each with their own master - which then get
> joined together again. On the other hand the amount of data is quite
> small - maybe a thousand rows in SQL terms. Actually it doesn't have to
> be SQL at all, I'm just using that as an example.

You also don't specify the robustness requirements: of your 50
servers, how many would you expect to be able to lose before data gets
lost? You talk of one at a time going down and coming back up, but is
it really a matter of a few vanishing at any one time, or could they
all go at the same time?

Can you give more details of why these machines are ephemeral? Are
they on unreliable network connections? People's desktops at work?
General purpose publically-accessible machines?

What problem are you trying to solve with this system?

Hugo.

--- "You know, the British have always been nice to mad people." ---