Re: [Hampshire] Jabber Servers

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Jabber Servers
On Friday 04 September 2009 10:22:58 Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Benjamin M.
> A'Lee<bma-lists@???> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 03:02:59PM +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> >> Have any of you set up a jabber service before?  I've done a brief
> >> spike using openfire - has anyone any experiences with other servers?
> >> Any recommendations?
> >
> > I use ejabberd; on Debian, at least, it works out of the box.
>
> Now using ejabberd on Debian. It works out of the box :)

Ditto on Gentoo. The conferencing side of things is quite
easy to set up as well, so you can have IRC style chat rooms
(though Google Talk doesn't support this very well).

> Does anyone know how if it's possible to set up contacts for users in
> advance, so they don't need to add each other manually?

I have a vague recollection of this being asked on the jabber
mailing list at some point in the past, and the answer being no.

You might be able to do it programmatically - I've seen APIs for
Perl, Python and Java at the very least.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???