Re: [Hampshire] Sheeva PlugComputer anyone?

Author: Graeme Hilton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sheeva PlugComputer anyone?
2009/8/27 Imran Chaudhry <ichaudhry@???>:
> Hi, just wondering if anyone has one of these?
>
> http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Main_Page

> interesting points:
> - an SD wi-fi card *should* work with it.
> - the CPU has been compared in performance to a P3 800Mhz
> - It comes with Ubuntu 9.04 already installed.
>
> I want to buy but I'm a bit put off by stories of being charged high
> import duty. However I heard that the senders state a lower value to
> mitigate this.

I got mine 3 weeks ago. Not had a chance to play with it in earnest yet.

I got charged import duty of about £10 and there was a FedEx
administration charge on top of that. I got the invoice last week,
well after the Sheevaplug had been delivered.

It runs Ubuntu 9.04 as you say, but only has a root account by
default. It seems to be pretty easy to install other distros on - for
instance Fedora have an ARM port that should go on easily.

My plan is to use it to replace my main server. I only use it for
file-sharing (NFS and samba) and as a print server.

--
Graeme Hilton