Re: [Hampshire] pcworld southampton & linux

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] pcworld southampton & linux
John said:

> If you lock down Linux to a limited amount of packages and charge ?1000
> to ?2000 a box you will very quickly match OSX for looks and usability.
> But Linux isn't locked down, you are free to choose what the GUI looks
> like and what distro/packages you install. The EEE PC has shown how easy
> it is to get Linux usable for the masses and at ?250. Imagine what it
> would be like at ?2000!

My Mac Mini was £499, and I think the low end one is £399. I've
seen net prices down around the £250 mark this year. Sure it's
not the hot Apple product of the moment, but it "just works" and
the build quality is fantastic. And yes, we have an eeePC as
well - after a week we replaced the Xandros distro with the
Ubuntu Eee version.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691