Re: [Hampshire] pcworld southampton & linux

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] pcworld southampton & linux

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57eb4100.hantslug.org.uk.14762': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Aug 8 10:27:19 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Alan,

On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 09:21:36AM +0100, alan c wrote:
> Andy Smith wrote:
> >
> > Linus Torvalds recently had something to say about Microsoft
> > bashing:
> >
> > http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7439/1.html
> >         "I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same
> >         time, I think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe
> >         in open development, and that very much involves not just
> >         making the source open, but also not shutting other people
> >         and companies out.

> >         There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but

> how many revolutions have there been, driven by *non* extremists?

Making and distributing a FOSS operating system that works better
than its proprietary rivals is an extreme enough goal for me to
support. The idea that this isn't particularly extreme today is
just a testament to how successful it has been so far - the concept
used to be laughable. There is still a long way to go.

I don't feel the need to take it to the next level by demonising
Microsoft or any other company, and I would question the value of
doing so.

Cheers,
Andy

You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.
-- Mike Bristow