Re: [Hampshire] Reset root password

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Reset root password
On Friday 07 August 2009 09:14:38 Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/8/7 Tim <xendistar@???>:
> > Can anybody point me in the direction of a set of instructions for
> > password recovery that work, I have googled but there are many but I
> > don't want to end up damaging the install trying to reset the password so
> > I am looking for instruction that other have used without a problem.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+password+recovery
>
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/reset-your-forgotten-ubuntu-password-i
>n-2-minutes-or-less/
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Thanks Alan, your 2nd link allowed me to reset the root password but I still had
a problem. I remembered that I set myself up as a user on the laptop as well
(at about the time I found root could not login into the gui!!). But going back
into recovery mode and using the root shell I was able to reset my password.

I think the morale of this story is, take better care of your passwords and
ensure adequate documentation!!

Thanks to all those who offered advice

Tim