Re: [Hampshire] pcworld southampton & linux

Author: pavithran
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] pcworld southampton & linux
2009/8/7 Andy Smith <andy@???>:
> Hi Pavithran,
>
> On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 06:24:07PM +0100, pavithran wrote:
>> Professional or not I believe this is *linux* users group . And M$ (
>> not Microsoft) has an awesome reputation of patent allegations against
>> the Free software movement . And as Linux users we ( if we have enough
>> free software spirit ) need not give it its due by calling it
>> respectfully with its full name .
>
> Again you generalise massively; are you really saying that you feel
> you speak for all Linux users with the above (even just all of the
> ones with enough "free software spirit")?

No I can't speak for Hampshire LUG because I don't feel at home in
Hampshire or even it's LUG ( sob sob )
My Home LUG's are Khammam glug,ILUG-HYD,ILUGC,ILUG-B ( India based LUG's )
And foss community in India is quite united in its views .
Yes I am hitting directly at the foss community of United kingdom but
these are my personal views on observing Hantslug & GreaterLondon LUG
for approx 1 year .

*Most of the linux users are really talented
* Most of the users don't care for the difference between "open source
" and " free"
* Most of them are enterprise /business/formal people.

Having said that . the GLUG's in India ( yeah we renamed most of them
to GLUG ) are more friendly and more united in it's views and actually
care more about FOSS philosophy than actual code ( which is changing )

>Do you feel it is a
> requirement of having enough "free software spirit" to call
> Microsoft names?

Ofcourse not but commenting a LUG member who has used the words "M$"
is definitely not a requirement of a LUG !!

> I do have a lot of respect for many things that Microsoft have
> achieved.

Yeah I accept MS dos was a copied version , Windows 3 copied from mac .. etc
I also think that NT is a great stable product and Xp the shiny
desktop simply works out of the box ( thanks to the great hardware
vendors who sat down and written code for windows drivers )
>I think they've also done some very bad things.

Some is an *under* statement :(
 >I doubt
> I am alone in this view,

I dont think so !!
>and I am afraid that it is the risk of
> being lumped in with your sort of sentiment that leads me to refrain
> from labelling myself as part of the free software movement, however
> much "free software spirit" I may have.

For Your Information Free software Movement *never* calls companies
with names. I don't represent FSF or any such organisations , why tie
me with the movement ? ( which I think is doing great work )
> I happen to think it is not
> in any way about calling companies stupid names.

Ofcourse not .

> You don't have to agree with what someone does or thinks to have
> respect for them.  To continually call them names just because you
> don't agree with them is I think basically just childish.  Since I
> don't agree with you are you suggesting that I should make some
> humourous mis-spelling of your name and then only call you by that
> on this list?

Yeah I am childish . and no I don't work under any one and say "Yes
boss or good morning sir " I am quite informal . I definitely don't
mind you/anyone( in this list ) calling me pvi or povi or anything
weird ( just make sure that I could hear and recognise that you are
calling me )
> In my opinion any serious message you have is immediately cheapened
> by referring to this company as "M$" or "Micro$oft".

I am afraid you might be right because many people tend to be formal
in their approach . But I think a LUG is an informal discussion group
. Yes we do discuss serious issues and definitely I hope( small ray of
hope ) we wont ( my thinking ) get serious on How we call "Microsoft "

Regards,
Pavithran

--
pavithran sakamuri