Re: [Hampshire] [OT] DVD to PC

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] DVD to PC
2009/8/6 Hugo Mills <hugo@???>:
> On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 05:27:30PM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
>> What I want (and maybe I'm being too exacting here) is a program for
>> Linux or indeed Windows that will just take a video DVD and dump out
>> an avi / mpg / whatever file preferably at enough res that I can
>> watch on a big screen TV.
>
>   dvdbackup -F should do the job, if memory serves.

I would recommend that as well. I think it leaves it as .IFO and .VOB
files though, but this can be played with xine or mplayer.
It might take about 9GB of HD space though, depending on the DVD used.
You can then cut this down by using the playtitle utility that comes
with libdvdread source code.
That will just extract the main title into a single mpg file.
You can then use mencoder to convert it into any other more compressed
file you wish.

Kind Regards

James