Re: [Hampshire] Debian to Ubuntu, without complete reinstall…

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian to Ubuntu, without complete reinstall?
2009/8/6 David Ramsden <david@???>:
> I have the need to upgrade 3 remote servers from Debian to Ubuntu. I'd
> like to avoid a complete re-install because:

Blimey, you're brave posting "Upgrade .. from Debian to Ubuntu" on
this list. Get your best flame retardant underpants on.

> Is there a migration path from Debian to Ubuntu that can be carried out
> remotely (i.e. via SSH)? I can't see any "official" documentation but
> then maybe my search terms aren't quite right.

Guess it at least in part depends on the versions you're going from
and to. Clearly going Debian SID -> Ubuntu Dapper is going to be
fraught as you are downgrading packages. Going Debian Sarge -> Ubuntu
Hardy might be less painful, but still probably quite horrific.

> Has anyone tried this? Did it work?

No, but I fancy a challenge :)

I would personally try it in a local VM first to see what gotchas
there might be. Install a base Debian install the same release as the
one you want to upgrade and add in whatever other packages are
installed. Get the VM as "alike" the remote machine as you can in
terms of config and apps, then tweak the sources lists and start
upgrading packages piecemeal.

Googling has turned up a few hits, in both directions..

http://www.google.com/search?q=convert+debian+to+ubuntu

> If it all goes wrong, the servers aren't currently business critical. So
> I would have a few days to travel to each one and rescue it/reinstall.

One has to wonder the merit of this venture in the first place though.
It may well be quicker/easier/less grief to just bite the bullet and
reinstall.

Cheers,
Al.