Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?
On 08/04/2009 02:42 PM, David Webb wrote:
> Anyway I wonder if we could start with these - as three levels which might
> attract interest - and then have suggestions about how they could be improved
> and what software would work together. Maybe a winter meeting devoted
> to 'around the house' media systems would be useful.

You've missed my suggestions which I think is a better step up from the
Acer Aspire, albeit more expensive:

ASRock Ion-330 (No OS)  £249.99 (svp.co.uk)
    Processor:      Intel Atom (330 dual core)
    Memory:         2 Gb (800 mhz)
    Hard Drive:     320 Gb (2.5inch)
    Optical drive:  DVD re-writer (slimline / laptop)
    Graphics:       NVidia ION (Geforce 9400M equivalent)
    Audio:          5.1 (with output over HDMI)
    Monitor:        None
    Networking:     Ethernet (RJ-45, Gigabit)
    Controls:       None supplied.
    Power supply:   65W adaptor
    Audio/Video :   1 x D-sub VGA
                    1 x HDMI
                    Line in, Line out, Mic
    Other ports:    6 x USB 2.0
                    1 x S/PDIF (optical)
                    1 x Mini PCI express slot
    TV Control:     Keyboard?!! / remote (extra)
    TV Receiver:    USB stick required (extra)
    Noise level:<  26dB
    Dimensions:     195mm x 70mm x 186mm

http://www.asrock.com/nettop/spec/ION%20330.asp

For TV control for any PC based solution then Microsoft Media Centre remote (version 2) which simply attached via USB and is commonly used for things like MythTV, Freevo etc.