Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?

Author: Stuart Sears
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ultimate Linux Media PC?
On 03/08/09 23:43, Alastair Biggs wrote:
> I was looking at investing in a Popcorn Hour after reading a review in Linux Format, Is it anygood at handling HD movies?
>
> Alternative option I had was to setup a shuttle or a mini-itx system and use geexbox as the hub for control of media.
>
> But I am really tempted to get a Popcorn Hour worthwhile investment?

Possibly.

I have one of these (not a PC** per se, but rather good, actually...):

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572

Smaller than any of my (powered) USB hard disks and about £80 as an
experiment from PC World (yes, really!) when my tranquilpc decided that
enough was enough and no longer boots (I still have hopes of rescuing
that, though. Nice kit.)

I flashed the wdtv with the ext3-boot firmware. Plug in a USB drive and
go - it has component and HDMI/toslink out for video/audio.

Mine has a 7-port powered USB hub attached and several USB drives -
which work marvellously.
Full of my music collection (mostly flac and ogg, with some of the evil
mp3, slowly being replaced) and collection of ripped DVDs.

The ext3-boot firmware will also do network-based streaming, with an
additional USB network device (not included). That's the next experiment
for me. Possibly a usb wireless device (although more likely ethernet as
the switch is within easy reach)

About the only thing it doesn't do is timeshift/record live telly. But
then I don't care about that sort of thing. :)

Regards,

Stuart

** although it does run linux and the firmware is all GPL :)
--
Stuart Sears RHC*
"It's today!" said Piglet.