Re: [Hampshire] Softphone

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Softphone

Disclosure: I am now a vendor of phone systems...

> We are using CISCO IP phones in the office here, and I was wondering if
> there was any good linux softphones anyone knew of that I could use
> straight on my laptop?

There are a bazillion good softphones available - but we need to check
your needs first to see if there are any that will work for you...

> I believe the protocol they are using is MGCP.

Are you *sure* about this?

MGCP is a Gateway Control Protocol (as the acronym tells you). It can
encapsulate SDP and RTP, but it's more aimed at the link between a VoIP
network and PSTN. That's not to say that you haven't got MGCP to the
phones - but a cursory search didn't turn up any phones that do that...

If, on the other hand, you have SIP phones (which Cisco have been selling
for donkeys' years), your life will be very much simpler.

> Im not massively hot on IP telephony as you might be able to tell, but
> any help would be very much appreciated.

Can you find out which model of phone you use (any example off any desk
will do), and if possible, what your VoIP installation is?

Vic.