Re: [Hampshire] Not booting after Wubi uninstall ... eeek!

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] DRM news
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Not booting after Wubi uninstall ... eeek!
2009/7/26 alan c <aeclist@???>:

> Don't Panic!
>
> :-)

Thanks ;-)

> Wubi uses the Windows boot loader, and an uninstall of wubi will
> (presumably ) edit the windows boot loader, but not change the mbr.
> In your case, the install of 8.10 meant that grub took over and the
> mbr was then pointing to 8.10 (presumably first hard drive, partiton
> 5) (this is grub (0,4) )

I believe so.

The previous boot menu offered Ubuntu 8.10 or WinXP (the boot menu
installed by grub.) Then selecting WinX offered a second menu of WinX
or Ubuntu 8.04 (as installed by Wubi.)

That's why I was a bit surprised (putting it mildly ;-) when it
appeared that the main mbr might have been uset by uninstalling wubi.
The grub boot menu looks as it did before; it's just that the ubuntu
option doesn't work ;-(

> My guess is that all that has happened is that your
> /boot/grub/menu.lst in 8.10 is now somehow pointing to a wrong place.

That is what I need to look into.

> Careful use of a live CD could verify that the partitions are still in
> place - windows ntfs and ubuntu ext3 and linux swap, and will probably
> let you view the files on these for further reassurance.

Yep, the partitions are OK. And I can mount the 8.10 system from a live CD.

> My first thoughts are to suggest you go also to ubuntu forums and get
> some more expert advice if possible
> http://ubuntuforums.org/

I think I may gather a bit more info then try that.

> good luck.

Thanks ;-)