Re: [Hampshire] need space: can I safely delete these?

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] need space: can I safely delete these?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56999100.hantslug.org.uk.29455': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jul 24 12:53:45 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:39:02PM +0100, Victor Churchill wrote:
> I have several generations of Ubuntu installed in a small (4GB)
> partition on this laptop. I am now getting very tight for space.
>
> My /lib/modules is:
>
> victor@pan:~/Desktop/CV$ sudo du -sm /lib/modules/*|sort -n
> 3       /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic
> 3       /lib/modules/2.6.27-9-generic
> 88      /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic
> 88      /lib/modules/2.6.28-12-generic
> 88      /lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic
> 91      /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic
> 91      /lib/modules/2.6.28-14-generic

> Assuming I do not want to go back in time to an earlier installation,
> can I get rid of the older directories here?

As Alan points out, you can just remove the older kernel packages
that you're not using.

> Also are there any other recommendations for where I can do some
> housekeeping? I have checked /var/log and /tmp, and there are no real
> space hogs there. I do have nearly 150M in
> /home/victor/.mozilla/firefox/vkuuxfit.default/Cache which I am
> tempted to purge but do not know what effect that might have on
> browsing.

Not much, I suspect. It'll be a bit slower to load stuff that
you've visited before, the first time you go there. It is just a cache
of page elements that you've downloaded (e.g. images, stylesheets,
sometimes whole pages). You can purge it from Edit->Preferences, then
the Privacy tab, and the Clear Now button under Private Data. Clear
the cache and offline website data.

If you visit about:config in your browser, and search for "cache",
there are several settings there that look like they might allow you
to shrink the size of the cache. "browser.cache.disk.capacity" looks
particularly promising.

Hugo.

         --- Is it true that "last known good" on Windows XP ---
                            boots into CP/M?