Re: [Hampshire] [OT] MTBF

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] MTBF

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5833c100.hantslug.org.uk.22303': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jul 20 12:29:25 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 12:23:47PM +0100, Stephen Rowles wrote:
> Most (all?) modern HDDs have a whole raft of sensors and store life time
> information about read errors, temperature range etc. etc. this is SMART
> (you might see on the bios screen). In Linux you can query this using
> smartctl:

[snip]
> You can see all sorts of interesting things here which can easily be
> used to warn on pending failure of a drive.

It's not actually a very good guide to failure. The figures I've
seen quoted from NetApp are that SMART data will only give you warning
of a pending drive failure in about 20% of cases, and that's if you
know what you're looking for (which most systems don't, as they can't
do the same level of analysis as NetApp can, to get the data).

Hugo.

   --- "How deep will this sub go?" "Oh,  she'll go all the way to ---
                    the bottom if we don't stop her."