Re: [Hampshire] What do you think?

Author: John Cooper
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What do you think?
Stephen Davies wrote:

> Conclusions.
>
> While the ambitions of those who want to relegate the command line to
> history are very laudable, there are many cases where it is the only
> place to get the job done and done with certainty.
> In addition to that, until Linux does not use any shell scripts on
> startup/shutdown the command line will be an essential for developers,
> sysadmins and even users (at times). I don’t think that reliance upon
> scripts will be removed anytime soon after all, we don’t want the mess
> that is the Windows Registry re-invented do we?

I can't see my day to day job of sysadmin will move to a GUI only
option. The reason why M$ have been forced to produce a "power shell" is
because sysadmins insisted they need it to maintain both windows and
Linux. The power of the command line is it can be scripted easily,
quickly and very effectively. GUIs do not have the flexibility to cover
all the different needs. Therefore the command line tools like ifconfig,
ping, grep, vim, awk, perl, python, sed and others will be with us for a
long time!

Non sys admins might be able to just use GUIs for normal use, but I
doubt they will be able to fault find without the command line in both
windows and Linux.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk