Re: [Hampshire] [OT] MTBF

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] MTBF

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57573100.hantslug.org.uk.14461': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Jul 18 22:58:36 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi James,

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 10:44:49PM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Take an example of a SSD
> Manufacturer quotes:
> OCZ-120GB-Solid-State-Drive: MTBF 1.5 million hours.
> To me that means and MTBF of 171 years abouts.
> So, why do OCZ only guarantee it for 2 years?

MTBF figures for hard drives (and possibly other things) are quoted
in terms of analysis of large numbers of that model. The item is
rated for 2 years of use.

What they are saying is that if you got many of these items and ran
them simultaneously for 2 years then you should get 171 years
aggregate service out of them before any of them developed a fault.

Or if you ran one item for 2 years then replaced it and kept going,
it should be 171 years before you had a failure inside the 2 years
of any individual item.

Cheers,
Andy

Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a light bulb?
A. Only one - who gives it to six Californians, thereby reducing the problem
to an earlier joke.