Re: [Hampshire] KVM without X on Lenny

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] KVM without X on Lenny

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57d4b100.hantslug.org.uk.14689': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jul 17 19:15:49 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 07:09:06PM +0100, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> Thanks Hugo, but I really want to do this without X being involved at all
> - the --vnc option still requires an X client somewhere.

Then I see several options:

1) Use an installer that's been tweaked to allow ssh access at a
(very) early stage in the installation process, and shell in.

2) Use a completely automated installer, of the kind used for
unattended installs. I know Red Hat have one; I would expect Debian
to have one, too, but I've never needed to find out about any of
them, so my knowledge is limited in the area.

3) Set up the main filesystem of the guest without using the VM, and
boot into it once it's set up:

   a) Set up once using an X system, take a copy of the VM image, and
      just blat that into place each time you want a new guest.

   b) Use debootstrap and a chroot (for .deb-based systems) to set up
      the base filesystem(s) for each guest. Again, there may be
      similar systems for .rpm-based distributions, but I don't know
      what they might be. Others here may be able to shed some light.

Hugo.

    --- All mushrooms are edible,  but some are only edible once. ---